List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    RFC822 compliant MIME headers
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2000-08-09 16:38:15

Hi,

The attached patch fixes the problem that extended ASCII characters were
possible in MIME headers. That can confuse some mail transfer systems. The
headers are now converted as described in RFC2047.

KMail was already able to decrypt such headers, but not to encrypt. This
applies to all headers including From, To,... self defined headers and
attachment file names and descriptions. My From header demonstrates this when
you look at message source.

Netscape 4.73 is now no longer able to decrypt the attachment description
correctly when it is encrypted that way, but that is their bug and it is
still readable.

I use Latin 1 for encryption because I don't know what charset to use. BTW,
the rest of kmmsgbase simply ignores the charset as far as I can see, but
that's what you wanted to work on yourself, Don.

Unfortunately the quoted-printable encoding function from mimelib doesn't
give correct output for the headers, therefore I had to write my own. E. g.
blanks and some other chars have to be quoted in the headers, but not in the
message body.

I hope the patch still applies since I had to change five files and my KMail
version is two days old. If you have trouble with that I make a new one.

Regards,
Michael Häckel
["rfc2047.diff.gz" (application/x-gzip)]