List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    KMail envelope sender address
From:       Alexander Feigl <Alexander.Feigl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-07-31 12:40:48

Hi!

Is it intentionally that KMail ( HEAD branch snapshot ) uses the From address
of the "unknown" identity for the SMTP envelope sender address? This feature
has problems with "protected" SMTP servers, which only allow their own
customers to send mail.

I have a dialup machine with sendmail installed. This sendmail forwards
outgoing mail to different SMTP servers. Most of them only allow forwarding
when the envelope sender address is matching their domain. (e.g. I have a SMS
sending EMail address - it only accepts its own domain and only accepts
direct connections)

I think I managed to bypass that by using the reply-to address as sender
envelope. But this is a bit hacky. Do you plan to make the envelope sender
configurable after KDE 2.0 (I think such changes are not allowed right now)

Greetings

Alexander Feigl

--
Linux is like a Wigwam : no Gates, no Windows but an Apache inside

My Homepage : http://www.moondream.de
KreateCD Homepage : http://wwww.moondream.de/kreatecd/