List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Kmail API?
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-07-31 11:50:28

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Hans Dijkema wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I would be very interested in a kmail API to the
> tree and message stores of kmail. It would be
> of great support for kmailcvt to have a call
> like
>
>    bool existFolder(string folder);
>    bool createFolder(string folder);
>    int    searchFolder(string folder);
>
>    bool addMessage(int folderHandle,istream & message);
>    bool addMessage(int folderHandle,FILE *message);
>    bool addMessage(int folderHandle,string & message);
>    bool addMessage(int folderHandle,const char *message);
>
> Could this be added to kmail?

I'm cool with that but I think we have problems with the datatypes. KMail
doesn't use the stl, I don't want to use 'string' as a data type. Also I'm
not sure about these 'int folderHandle'. I think we want to use char*
folderPath where folderPath is the file name of the mail folder to be
operated on.

So I think this would be better:

    bool existFolder(char* folderPath);
    bool createFolder(char* folderPath);
    int    searchFolder(char* folderPath); // what is the int return for here?

// normally would use Qt datatype but I guess istream and FILE* are ok.
    bool addMessage(char* folderPath,istream & message);
    bool addMessage(char* folderPath,FILE *message);
//    bool addMessage(char* folderPath,string & message);  can't do this
//                                              because of the string argument
    bool addMessage(ichar* folderPath,const char *message);
// for addMessage the message should be local8bit encoded.

and Waldo is right of course we will use dcop for this.