List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: compaction, and many other bugs
From:       George Staikos <staikos () 0wned ! org>
Date:       2000-05-31 23:17:13

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Don Sanders wrote:

> > Compacting my 2000+ message folder is _sllllllooooowwwwwwwww_ on a P233MMX
> > with 64mb and almost nothing else running except KDE.
>
> It takes 12 seconds to compact a folder with 3500 messages here, how slow is
> it for you?

  40 seconds to compact 1600 messages.  I dread the thought of compacting my
current mailbox with KDE2....  Then again it will be on a c433 instead of a
p233.  Now I understand that debugging code is much slower than production
code, but still.... we have to keep an eye on this.

  (btw: my work project compiled with -g is 3 times as large and seems to be
much slower executing)

> > When I started kmail latest from CVS, the Linux-Kernel folder I have here
> > came up as 0 new messages.  Then I clicked into the folder and 1300+
> > messages appeared as new.  This is the way it _should_ be.  Something
> > wasn';t updated properly on startup.
>
> Does this always happen or was it a one off?

   This always happens on startup.  Every time.

> > Drag is royally broken.  I drag messages and sometimes they go, sometimes
> > they don't.  Using "Move To" works fine.
>
> Can you work out how to reproduce this? It works fine here, honest :-)
>
> Did you update your QT? I'm still on 2.1. I few people have complained about
> this but I've never been able to reproduce a problem (except it doesn't work
> if you have multiple main windows open and drag from one to another). Is this
> a new problem since you udpated or has it been that way for awhile for you.
>
> BTW, which of these problems are new problems?

  I'm still on qt 2.1 as well (as distributed by RedHat).  I just noticed
this problem recently, but hey, maybe I just never noticed it/never
triggered it before.  Basically what I do to reproduce it is go into my
linux-kernel list in threaded mode, and select a contiguous block of messages
from the middle that don't fall on thread boundaries (ie a few from some
threads, but not ALL from the threads).  Then try to drag to the trash.  The
messages don't move.  It does enter and exit the drag, but it doesn't
actually do the message move.

> > At the following point:
> >
> > khtml: INIT HTML Codec name= ISO 8859-1
> >
> > There is a huge delay.  It just sits there for 5-10 seconds, then
> > continues.
>
> You mean once at start up or every time you read a message? (It's fine here).

   This is triggered by clicking on "View all headers" as opposed to "Fancy
Headers" which is my default.

> > I can find no way to crash KMail thus far.
>
> It happens after you retrieve new mail the change to another folder here, but
> not very often once every few hours.

   I did that 5+ times here and no luck.  I don't use it regularily so I
can't test for hours on end.  I won't convert until the code is fully stable.

--

George Staikos