List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Licensing
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-29 7:06:16

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> Currently KMail is licensed under the GPL, I suggest that we also license
> it under the QPL.

You will have to ask everybody who ever contributed to kmail for
permission.

I don't think that kmail will benefit from the change. People will ask why
we did it and authors might refuse to help us because we use something
other than GPL.

The whole thing why Gnome exists was a licence issue with Qt for example.

There was the idea to use the artistic license over one year ago when
Kde was threatened by GPL hardlines. However, I am happy that we did
not try to switch.

To make it short: I am not convinced :-)

Kind regards,
Stefan