List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of kdenetwork module
From:       Paul Cifarelli <pjc () pipeline ! com>
Date:       2000-05-20 11:18:44

Don Sanders wrote:

> Yes there is a need for a volunteer for IMAP. Help would very much be
> appreciated.
>
> Have you got a copy of the KDE2 beta working? Are you familiar with the concept
> of a KDE kioslave? See:

Not yet, although I have pulled down the latest source with cvsup.  I wasn't familiar \
with a kioslave, so I'll start there.  I haven't yet contributed to the KDE project, \
so I so need to familiarize myself with the idiom. Any additional help pointing me \
this way is also appreciated...

> http://thebox.nebsllc.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdebase/kioslave/DESIGN?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>
> (Actually even though the ideas are the same that document is a little out of
> date, does anyone know if there is more uptodate documentation available?)
>
> And for a good example of how a client uses a kioslave see kioslavetest.*:
>
> http://thebox.nebsllc.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdelibs/kio/tests/?hideattic=1
>
> If we can get a working IMAP kioslave implemented that will go a long way
> towards getting IMAP support in KMail.
>
> Supporting the disconnected use messaging model (rather than just the popular
> offline messaging model used for pop) will still require some extra work.
>
> Do I make sense when I talk about the "disconnected use" and "offline" models.
> Actually I have virtually no experience with IMAP, I'm assuming most email
> clients do infact support the "disconnected use" messaging model.
>
> offline: 'Mail is pulled from server by client and then deleted from server'
> online: 'Mail is left on server'
> disconnected: 'Mail is pulled from but left on server, when online client is
> synced with server'

Of course it makes sense.  Perhaps we could get online working first - I believe this \
is how most people who use IMAP at work use it,  and most people just use POP when \
offline.  It's just my perception, maybe I'm wrong?

--
---------
Paul Cifarelli