List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: err... folder bug?
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       2000-05-15 10:27:37

On Mon, 15 May 2000, you wrote:
> Well if it's ok with Stefan it's ok with me.
>
> Stefan?

Basically fine for me -- read below for details :-)

> Maybe we'll have to wait until the phone line get laid to Stefan's house
> before he can answer.

Well, I have restricted HTTP, FTP, and Email access at work. Only
CVS does not work.

> Please send a patch for the HEAD branch.
>
> BFN,
> Don.
>
> On Sun, 14 May 2000, Jason Stephenson wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 May 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> > > There's a comment in the source that says "this is required for
> > > Solaris" that's why I never changed it.
> >
> > I don't see the comment now. I'm looking a the three files where that's
> > being done. I also don't see any reason why Solaris should care what's on
> > this line. (See below for explanation.)
> >
> > > Also I don't really see any reason to change it.
> >
> > This line is used to separate messages in MBOX files. It's a conventional
> > format for storing email on *NIX systems, and legend has it, was started
> > with BSD. (It's also called Berkeley format.) There isn't any reason to
> > change it for the sake of KMail. It will work with the line as it is,
> > since KMail looks for the blank line followed by a line that starts with
> > "From " to tell where message begin and end. Nowhere is it written that
> > these lines *must* contain any particular data. It is just a convention
> > that the first word is From and that its followed by a blank space. The
> > next charact could be a newline for all most mail applications care. It
> > is generally the case that UNIX mail agents will put the contents of the
> > From: header and the date on this line.

Not the full truth. KMail checks for the word "From" at the beginning of
a line, but if it finds a line it also does a regular-expression comparison,
see kmfolder.cpp:445

[...]
> > Well, I guess there's a third reason to change it: I saw this and found
> > it rather esthetically unpleasing. I don't like the notion of printing
> > worthless data in a file when you've got good data that can be used with
> > practically no effort.
> >
> > So, I'll send the patches once I've had a chance to compile and test
> > them. My machine (slow) is busily chomping away at kdelibs as I type
> > this.

Feel free to change the contents of the line.

But beware, you also have to change the code in kmfolder that reads
the message. Now it skips the separation line as it knows that the line
has fixed number of bytes. If the line length is not fixed you have to
change this too.

Kind regards,
Stefan