List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Message threading
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       2000-05-15 10:51:48

Great work so far, threading works nicely as it seems.
There is only one thing that disturbs me, which is proably a conceptional
issue.

If you thread messages by order of arrival and you delete messages of
a thread one by one, the sorting order might change while deleting, because
suddenly the top message of the thread is younger than the original message
and therefore has to be later in the list.

Example:  (skip if you understood the above explanation ;-)
I have 100 new messages, sorted by order of arrival. Due to the threading,
some messages are sorted in higher in the list because they belong to
a thread that started earlier. If you delete the older messages, the rest of
the thread gets moved down in the message list.

IMO once the folder contents is ordered it should not be reordered by
deletion. I often have to scroll back up to see where the first unread
message is when I am done with one thread.

--Stefan