List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory stuff (update)
From:       George Staikos <staikos () 0wned ! org>
Date:       2000-04-03 19:09:02

On Fri, 05 May 2000, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> I played alot with kmail today, and found out this:
> * walking through a folder and viewing messages --> memory stays constant,
> even for big folders
> * setting status --> works perfect now.
> * moving a lot of mails from folder A to a folder B --> memory goes up to 90
> MB (9500), 86 MB are marked as free, but can't be freed due to severe
> fragmentation.
>
> But in general, KMail becomes a extremly usefull mailer...

   This is an excellent thing to hear.  I just moved my mail spool over to my
laptop for my move back to my parents' place for the next month (have a job
there before I go to Greece) and with 64mb I've noticed that running kmail
and netscape communicator at the same time is very............ slow.   I
think we should try to sort out the moving messages memory usage as well.
I'm sure it's something that can be solved.  Ideally a GUI email client
shouldn't really be using more than 10mb of ram, imho.  Now hopefully we're
sharing much of our text segment with other kmail apps and thus not _really_
using as much ram as it appears.  KDE2 uses quite a bit more RAM already and
I really hope I can use 2.0 on my 64mb laptop still.

   Oh we also have all the debugging code still in place as well, so that
uses some ram as well as slowing things down.

--

George Staikos