List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    tearing my hair
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       2000-04-26 20:10:13

i'm still attempting to be scientific here, and i'm still failing to
fix the problem with the current -- cvsup harvest of last evening --
kmail 1.1.41.

to describe the problem again, it opens and appears to run fine if
there are no messages in the inbox. if there are messages, the list
is displayed for <1 second, after which the entire kmail window
becomes white, with the  title of the selected message across its
top; after <1 second, the entire kmail window closes and that's that.
a comparison of kmail 1.1.40, which works fine here, and kmail
1.1.41, which doesn't, in ~/.xerrors (which under kde2 grows very
large in a hurry) shows absolutely no difference in what's logged.

system is a pretty vanilla linux running 2.2.12 kernel, glibc-2.1,
xfree-3.3.5. the entire head branch built with only these errors: an
undefined reference to crypt prevented the construction of
/kdebase/kdm, and kdepim didn't build.

i have thusfar deleted all my ~/Mail/.*.index files. i have renamed
my ~/Mail and started anew. i have moved my
~/.kde/share/config/kfmrc. i have bumped resolution and depth from
1280x1024x32bpp to 1024x768x16bpp. i have gotten and installed the
nvidia server (my card is a riva 128zx w/8 megs).

even so, the above misbehavior takes place whenever an attempt is
made to view a message, either in the inbox or in another folder. gdb
provides nothing of use. and if i switch back to the earlier kde2
build, i am able to read all messages in all folders (though of
course the indices need then to be regenerated.)

i have gotten ishmail, spruce, and mahogany and built and installed
all but ishmail, which is of course precompiled; plus all the various
libraries they need in order to build and run, and they've been able,
mostly, to read kmail folders, but do not really do the job.

the rest of kde2 seems to run reasonably well. and in kmail 1.1.41 i
can fiddle with the settings and, actually, do anything except read
mail. i suspect that if i were to save this message for later
delivery (in fact, i'll try this; if there's no addition below to the
contrary, my suspicion will have been correct) that were i to try to
look at it, kmail would crash.

i realize that this isn't much to go on; fwiw, the kmail of 4/16 is
the last one from which i've gotten success, though i do not try to
build kde2 every day, so i probably didn't even make the attempt
until 4/18 or 19 -- whenever it was that the sort-by-status option
was added, because i had requested it and very much wanted to use it.

inspection of the folder files in ~/Mail shows nothing out of the
ordinary, and again, they all are displayed just fine in kmail
1.1.40. the crash occurs only when kmail 1.1.41 is trying to display
a message.

i'm at my wit's end (okay, okay -- not a long trip, ho ho). anybody
have any ideas as to why this is happening and how i can fix it?

tia.
--
dep