List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Serious Kmail memory problems (v1.0.29.1)
From:       Casey Allen Shobe <rivyn () mailandnews ! com>
Date:       2000-04-26 14:08:56

This is an easily reproduceable bug, and a very nasty one at that.

Say you're subscribed to a lot of mailing lists, like me (40+).  Say some of
these lists get a lot of traffic (kde cvs - 500+/day) and you let it accumulate
until there are about 3000-5000 emails in the folder.  When you right click on
the folder to empty it, first your computer slows down real bad because kmail
insists upon loading the headers for all 5000 emails.  This is not necessary.
Right-clicking should not select.  Then, finally, a RMB pops up.  You click
Empty Folder.  All the sudden your computer goes crazy.  The mouse doesn't
respond very well, everything is excessively slow, your /home partition hard
drive LED stays on and makes a lot of racket...and as you wait, the minutes go
by...you go downstairs, use the restroom, brew some coffee, pour a cup and come
back upstairs, and it's STILL going away.  Ok...this has gone from annoying to
bad.  It seems to me that Kmail is deleting the emails one by one instead of a
much more efficient method.

If you want to empty a folder, why not just rm it, and then recreate it?  Gee.
that would take 2 seconds.  I don't like to feel like I'm on a 386 when my
computer is an Athlon 600 with 64mb RAM & 128mb swap.  Not only this, but after
the folder empty is complete, kmail continues to take up a huge chunk of
memory.  When you exit it, the system goes back to normal.  I have prepared a
screenshot of ktop during this process to prove my point.  Can we fix this
please?

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~rivyn/kmailbugdemo.png (43kb)

Thank you for your time and effort,

--