List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Changes in KMail and *Warning*
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       2000-03-30 9:24:05

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Sven Radej wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Stefan Taferner wrote:
> >On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
> >> Thanks for the porting.
> >>
> >> Sven, I want to make keeping KMail stable a top priority.  After almost
> >> a month of catching up with changes in the libs KMail has finally become
> >> rock solid again and I really want to keep it that way. (Well I have to
> >> use the Platnium theme and run it under kde 1.1.2 but under those
> >> conditions it is completely stable for me).
> >
> >Yep, stability would be good.
>
> I will work on it today.
> (..)
>
> >Another thing: I played around with a new main window layout lately:
> >the list of folders hidden, instead a combo box in the toolbar.
> >Is there interest for this mode?   It does not look very good IMO, but
> >it might be handy.
>
> Yes it might be very handy!
>
> In kde2 there is a entry in magic file which recognizes mail messages (or
> mbox folders. What Iīd like to see is to bind such files to kmail. If you
> execute kmail on such file it would open a mainwindow and:
> If file is a single message, hide message list. Else, if it is a mailbox,
> show message list. In both cases, folders are not needed and combobox mode
> would be very handy.
> That way kmail should even be a kpart - but letīs not rush with it.

Well, then main window code should be split into parts:
- reader window alone
- reader window + message list
- reader window + message list + folder list

My approach with the folder list as a combo box does not create the second
form you suggest, it only places the folder list somewhere else (and makes
mainwindow code more complicated ;-)

But generally speaking I agree with you: we could and should split up the
main window code. Best would be to make classes that inherit from each
other. Or something like that :-)

--Stefan