List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    KMail Concepts: Folder Management
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       2000-03-27 12:59:37

Hi everybody,

Let's have a look at how things stand currently -- please ask if
I should explain some things in detail.

* kmail:
  - one folder manager has a list of folders
  - each folder has a list of messages.

* libkmsg:
  - one folder manager has a list of folder groups ("mailboxes")
  - each folder group has a list of folders
  - each folder has a list of messages

In both designs, incoming and outgoing messages are handled by an
external mechanism (external to the folder subsystem).

In the libkmsg case, if you call the folder groups "mailboxes", they
might additionally have:
- an identity
- a mechanism for receiving emails, e.g. a POP account for local
  folders ( == current kmail).
- a mechanism for sending emails, e.g. a dedicated SMTP server.

I am very much in favor of renaming the folder groups to "mailbox".
Shall we add some of the above things too?

Well, I think the concept of libkmsg is fine in this case :-)
Later I will try to go more into details about further topics if you like.

Kind regards,
Stefan