List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: new "kmail with PGP" error
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () salzburg ! co ! at>
Date:       2000-03-27 11:54:25

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Sven Radej wrote:
[...]
> How is this possible? I thought that PGP messages encrypt only body, and
> not attachments? Unless we are using "application/pgp" approach? Which we
> should.
>
> The multipart/alternative code is really a hack - it fails to display
> further attachments because they are (Outlook and netscape do so) in part2.
> KMMessage cannot handle attachments in attachments. There was some talk
> about using new message lib from kdenonbeta written by S. Taferner,

Yes.

> but it´s not even ported to Qt2 (right?). In any case, parsing code must be
> redone - present situation is just bunch of (my) hacks.

It's ported, by does not use QString yet. I am stuck at the point that I
would like to keep encodings out of kmail if possible, but I was not able
to deceide in which format the mails should be kept.

The kmail2 (kdenonbeta) also does parsing a lot better and displays
all the nested message parts (attachment in attachment) right.

Even supports some variations of multipart/alternative, multipart/digest,
email that is an attachment, etc.

[...]
> Unfortunately I am not much more experienced in this - as I said whole code
> from me was a hack to get it working for KDE-1.1.2. Your proposal looks ok
> to me - but again it is just another hack (sorry :-). I´d say to commit it
> untill we figure out how to do this properly.
>
> parsing should be done like this (big IMHO):
>
> We should have object KMparsedMessage reader gets KMMessage *msg, does
> parsedMessage = new KMParsedMessage(msg);

The major problem is IMO already this first line.
KMMessage is already a wrapper around mimelib's message.
Mimelib's message class is quite nicely designed -- now that I understand
what all is for ;-)

*The* major drawbacks of mimelib are:
- uses blocking i/o
- does not use QString. This hurts and cannot be overcome.

The said message class of libkmsg takes the good ideas of mimelib but uses
Qt mechanisms, plus some extras.

I don't comment on the parsing algorithm below. It is IMO nearly correct, some
minor issues are there. But I think we should first replace the message
classes with something that does not make so much troubles.

[... parsing algorithm, etc ....]

Sigh, if I only had more time...

Kind regards,
Stefan