List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Curious KMail Problem: weird bug or misoperating?
From:       John Aldrich <john () chattanooga ! net>
Date:       2000-02-16 17:50:29

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, George Staikos wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Stefan Taferner wrote:
>
> > I already contacted her.   IMO the problem is somewhere in the pppd
> > configuration, but I don't have a real clue ;-)

[...]
>    I"m pretty sure it is in pppd *or* perhaps in a faulty modem
> implementation.  I must admit that my knowledge of modems isn't what it used
> to be back in the BBS days (*grin*)  but if I remember correctly, when the
> modem is online it should _not_ respond to the hangup "AT" command unless it
> is preceded by "+ + +" (minus the spaces, didn't want to hang up peoples'
> modems hehe) and then there must be an n millisecond delay before the "AT"
> command is issued.  Furthermore, I always thought there was a safeguard in
> PPP so that this sequence could never happen.  Perhaps it is even a bug in
> pppd/kernel ppp implementation/the modem itself.  It's certainly not
> something to try to guard against at the application level.
>
>   Curiously, are you maybe even using SLIP?  In either case, what OS/pppd
> version/OS release?

Well, I can recall in the 14.4kbps days, sometimes there'd
be something in certain files which would cause my modem to
hang up when downloading said files from my internet
provider. My solution at that time was to zip up the app
and  then download it. That cured the problem 99.99% of the
time. :-) In this case, the suggestion would be to save the
hayes commands to a text file, zip it up and then
file-attach the zip. :-)
	John