List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: security (was: Re: REQUESTS)
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2000-02-04 7:46:21

Daniel Naber schrieb:

> On Don, 03 Feb 2000, George Staikos wrote:
>
> >    Use QString instead of char[] or char* :)   More importantly we need to
>
> I did a grep for "char" and there are not *that* many... Perhaps
> it's really the best solution to make these use QString. But what
> about the libraries we're using? These have to be secure, too.
>
> >   I have requested this as well and I think Andreas Gungl is looking into it.
> >  Right now PGP is pretty much a "yes I think it worked because it didn't yell
> > at me" feature.
>
> Perhaps we could (optionally) show the message as it gets send (i.e.
> encrypted) to make the user feel safe.

This would mean to show the message twice: one times encrypted and one
times unencrypted, just that you can read it later.

In the settings, there is an option like "encrypt to yourself" (sorry,
I'm in the office, using Netscape at the moment). If you don't check
this options, you see all messages (to be send) only encrypted.
Otherwise you get the message unencrypted in your outbox / sent messages
folders.

Any ideas how to handle this in the future?

> > > - Is it possible to disable access to remote sites completely when
> > >   (html) emails are viewed?
> >
> >     I dont' think that's a good solution.
>
> Stefan is right, there should be an option to disable this. There are
> people who dial-in automatically as soon as anything non-local is
> requested. That could mean one connection for every html mail
> containing remote stuff (images etc.).
>
> Regards
>  Daniel
>
> --
> PGP Key fingerprint = 3D 98 9E D2 00 B6 E0 9D  7E B9 77 23 17 E2 11 6A

Andreas