List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    PGP (Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd & Re: KMail Development)
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2000-02-02 7:54:16

George Staikos schrieb:

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2000, Andreas Gungl wrote:
>
> > > Finishing off PGP Passphrasee change
> > > When prompted for the password, ESCAPE should not be treated as ENTER
> > >              (ie if I press escape, it should cancel, not continue)
> > I don't know exactly what you mean. I had the problem, that, if you
> > typed in a bad phrase and you selected "store passphrase", the programm
> > didn't ask again, but it continued working with the bad phrase and could
> > not decrypt any mail. You would have to restart kmail.
> > I tried to fix this. I'll have a look at the current cvs version
> > tonight. If you type in a bad phrase, it can't decrypt the current
> > message but should show the dialog again, when you select the next
> > encrypted message. If there is still an error, I'll track into it.
>
>    I'm actually referring to signing, not encrypting,  I'm still using 1.1.2
> kmail for normal use and I'm basing my comments on that.  I don't have PGP on
> my dev machine yet so I can't play around with it.  When I sign my messages,
> it pops up a dialog with simply an entry field.  if I type my password and
> then press escape, it behaves as though I pressed enter and sends the
> message.  This happened to me once when I typed in the password and then
> realised that I hadn't completed the message so I pressed escape.  The mail
> was sent off on me.  *D'oh*

I don't use immediate sending of messages. Of course, that's no real
solution. ;-) I'll have a look at this.

> > > There should be message boxes when PGP fails
> > PGP itself never failed on my system. There were only bad phrases or
> > missing keys. But IMHO that is something different than an error while
> > the execution of PGP. Could you give my an example?
>
>    It should still pop up a message if that is possible in those cases.  I
> don't really know of all the error cases but when I tried to use 6.x PGP with
> 1.1.2 kmail it used to just do nothing when I tried to encrypt an email....
> rather frustrating until I found out that 6.x was plain incompatible with
> that release of kmail.

This problem is related to the strange detection of PGP/GPG version in
kmail. ASAP we should add something to the settings dialog's PGP tab
page, that somebody can choose the version he wants to use. If there
wouldn't have been PGP 6.x, nobody would have tried to get it working
(without implementing it before).

BTW, I was frustrated too. The I went to implement my own PGP 6.x
support and give my code to all other kmail users. If you are interested
in PGP 6.x support for kmail 1.0.28, I could send you the changed files
(or post it to this list, if somebody else is interested in).

> > > It should be possible to automatically add people's keys to the keyring
> > > somehow
> > That's what I next wanted to have a look at (and perhaps at a complete
> > key management too). Any help is welcome.
>
>   I"m no PGP expert right now as I just started using it within the last 2
> months and have yet to send an actual encrypted email back and forth with
> someone.  If I get some spare time and once I get to using CVS instead of
> CVSUP I'll try to look into it.

Give me a sign. ;-)