List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd & Re: KMail Development
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-01-31 23:46:06

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000, George Staikos wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Don Sanders wrote:
>
> > I feel the following are the most desirable features that need to be
> > implemented (pretty much in order):
> >
> > Background downloading of messages, improved addressbook with support for
> > groups, IMAP support, Search Dialog, and support for showing a tree of messages
> > instead of just a list.
> >
> > I'm handling background downloading of messages and an improved addressbook.
>
>   After I get through my pile of mini-fixups I hope to write the search.
> Anyone else is welcome to go ahead of me or work with me of course!
>
>   By tree of messages you're referring to threading of messages right?

Yes.

>   Curiously, KRN and Kmail actually share alot of code already.  What do you
> think of, as a long term plan, possibly merging KRN and KMail completely,
> making a single message centre like pine or netscape?

I haven't thought about KRN specifically very much. I think once it is feature
complete KMail should be broken up into components. Newreaders and
personal organizer applications also should be made available as components and
then the user can pick and choose what parts they want to be included in their
container app(s).

There is still a lot to be done before it is time to start the
componentization.

BFN,
Don.