List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    "Reply" button functionality in KMail (especially with mailing lists)
From:       Matthew Blissett <matt () blissett ! me ! uk>
Date:       2007-11-21 18:31:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi

I'd like to share some thoughts on how KMail should behave when replying to
messages.  This was discussed before (ages ago) so I apologise for bringing
it up again, but I don't think the current behaviour is optimal.

At the moment there's the "Folder -> Mailing list management -> Folder holds a
mailing list" setting (on or off), and also four Reply buttons:
- Reply;
- Reply to all;
- Reply to list;

Currently, if the folder-holds-mailing-list setting is off and the user
presses "Reply" to a message from a mailing list, then the reply goes to the
whole list (by extracting the List-Post message header).  This seems
dangerous to me -- I expect the "Reply" button to go to the author of the
message in most cases.

I think this behaviour would be better:

"Reply" button
  If "Folder holds a mailing list" is ticked for this folder
    - the same as "Reply to List" button
  Otherwise
    - the same as "Reply to Author" button

"Reply to List" button
  Try
    - add addresses in "Mail-Followup-To" header to "To"
  Otherwise
    - add address set in "Mailing list management" to "To"
  Otherwise
    - add address in "List-Post" header to "To"
  Otherwise
    - leave "To" empty

  - Add "Mail-Reply-To" or "Reply-To" or "From" to "To"

"Reply to All" button
  - Do "Reply to List"

  If "To" is empty (so it wasn't a mailing list)
    - Add "Mail-Reply-To" or "Reply-To" or "From" to "To"
  Otherwise (we have a mailing list address in "To")
    - Add "Mail-Reply-To" or "Reply-To" or "From" to "CC"

  - Add "To" and "CC" addresses to "CC"

(In all cases, avoid duplicate addresses etc)

I'm influenced by this: <http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html> but I'm not sure
what's best for "Reply to All" since KMail also has the "Reply to List"
function.

Does this seem better?  Logical?  I started editing kmmessage.cpp but I
decided it was worth checking what everyone thought.

--
Matt Blissett