List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Reason for crashes when filtering mails
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2007-02-27 14:10:15

Am Monday 26 February 2007 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> A really dirty (and probably quick) solution would be not to delete the
> KMMsgInfo object when a corresponding KMMessage is created, but to
> remember the pointer to the KMMsgInfo object in the KMMessage object
> and then, when the KMMessage is destroyed, to reset the pointer in the
> message list to the pointer to the KMMsgInfo object.
> This would require changes to (at least):
> - KMMessage (add member variable and getter/setter for KMMsgInfo*)
> - KMMsgInfo* KMFolderIndex::setIndexEntry( int idx, KMMessage *msg )
>     (which replaces a KMMessage by the corresponding KMMsgInfo)
> - KMMessage* KMFolderMaildir::readMsg(int idx)
> - KMMessage* KMFolderMbox::readMsg(int idx)
>     (which replaces a KMMsgInfo by the corresponding KMMessage)
> - void KMMsgList::set(unsigned int idx, KMMsgBase* aMsg)
>     (which actually deletes the KMMsgInfo/KMMessage objects; FWIW it's
> really shocking that the documentation of this method reads "[...] If
> there is already a message at the given index this message is *not*
> deleted. [...]"; this is obviously a lie :-( )
>
> The attached patch contains all those required changes. I didn't even
> check whether this patch compiles, so please use it with care.

I've given the patch a very quick test and the crashes don't occur anymore.
I do some more tests tonight at home.

Given that this patch fixes the 3.5 branch, should it be commited? I
understand that this is no solution for KDE 4, however it would be good to
get the 3.5 branch working. And somehow I think this change might fix some
other curious crashes as well.

Last but not least, thanks for having a look at this, Ingo. Your knowledge
of KMail is invaluable.

Andreas