List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: QCString construction
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2007-02-12 21:36:59

On Monday 12 February 2007, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> I think it should be
> +  memcpy( cstr.data(), str.data(), strLen );

Oh wow, well spotted. Yes. Initially it was using c_str(), and then I found
some code doing the above and realized it was a bit faster (c_str() can make
a full copy if it lacks room for the trailing 0 it seems).

> Ideally, we'd probably change all usage of QCString to DwString.
Yes. QCString sucks so much for large strings, and we store the data as DwString
in the first place. But it doesn't look like we can do everything with DwString.

> But I'm not sure whether it's worth putting much effort into this since for KDE
> 4.x we'll probably use QByteArray (with KMime instead of mimelib)
> everywhere.
That's right. Well, my efforts are financed (kolab issue 1222) but I guess I have
to stop soon on that effort indeed. But even though I improved the runtime performance,
the memory usage is still huge...

--
David Faure, faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
KDE/KOffice developer, Qt consultancy projects