List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: sqlite ?
From:       Volker Krause <volker.krause () rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2006-10-01 9:47:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 21 September 2006 23:36, Rick wrote:
> as to say, that my all emails would be kept "inside" of this database?
> or is it just going to store header tag information?
>
> I'm hoping for a unified sqlite 3 or sql backend for all KDE application,
> this would clean up allot of issues. from a simple database, to searching
> 800,000 emails. ( don't forget about a report writer)
>
> Rich
> Can't wait for KDE 4
>
> On Thursday 21 September 2006 4:33 pm, Till Adam wrote:
> > The new storage backend for KDE 4, Akonadi, is based on a database
> > driven indexing and metadata storage backend. The current
> > implementation uses sqlite.

After some frustrating days debugging multithreading issues with various
embedded databases at akademy I can only say that sqlite is no option
anymore. At least not until it gets decent support for highly concurrent
access, something thats locks the complete database (even for some read-only
operations!) just doesn't work for us.

We also tried MySQL/Embedded which seems to perform better, but it also had
problems with multithreading (might be caused by the QSql driver).

Are there any other suggestions for open-source embedded databases? I'm not
too happy with a stand-alone database server for Akonadi...

regards
Volker