List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    "Reply" address behaviour for mails sent by Mailing Lists
From:       "Mike Cohler" <mike.cohler () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-18 13:12:36

There is a default behaviour that can cause difficulties that applies
when hitting "reply" to a mail in the inbox that was sent by an
original author to a mailing list in the event that the list does not
generate a "Reply to" field in the mail it sends out.

For the case in point I have been receiving mails from a member of a
mailing list where the original author is listed in the From: field in
the mail that the author sent to a mailing list, and I am one of the
recipients of that list. Hitting "Reply" in this case goes to the list
- whereas I would like to almost always send to the author.

Some lists generate a "reply to:" field that is set to the original
author when the list administrator sets it for default replies to go
to the author.  On the other hand if the list administrator sets
default to reply to the list then a "Reply to:" field is set to send
replies back to the list. This behaviour will vary depending on the
list. In the case I am dealing with there is no "Reply to:" field sent
out from the list.

The default behaviour of kmail when there is no "Reply to:" field
seems to be to send to the list address.  It is certainly possible to
use "Reply special" and select "reply to author" to get the compose
window to set the author in the "To:" field.

Has there been any discussion on the optimum default behaviour in this
situation ?  i.e for this specific circumstance to have the default
behaviour set to reply to the author or the list?
Which is the most common requirement ?

I did try to find if there is a way to select/change the default
behaviour but I have not been able to find how to do it.  If anyone
can tell me I would appreciate knowing how to do it.

Any replies will be useful.

Thanks
Mike

--