List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Two new features for kmail.
From:       "Carsten Burghardt" <burghardt () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-02 10:35:43

David Woodhouse sagte:
> Apologies for incorrect References: -- for some reason I didn't receive
> a copy of your reply; I'm piecing it together from the list archive,
> which not only lacks the Message-Id: of your mail but is also bizarrely
> corrupted -- is there a better archive than the one at
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kmail-devel&m=114122899003955&w=2 ?
>
> You wrote:
>> This already exists if you use what is called 'online IMAP' as opposed
>> to 'disconnected IMAP'
>
> I hadn't been using disconnected IMAP -- at least not intentionally. I
> only work online, and have never asked kmail to 'Go offline'. Is there
> more to it than that?

That's a different thing. KMail has a disconnected imap account type which
basically downloads all mails to your local box and keeps this
synchronized with the server. So if you access your emails you don't have
to be online.

The offline mode simply suppresses network traffic.

> Still, it's issuing a STATUS command on every folder on the IMAP server,
> not only the folders to which I'm subscribed. I imagine I'm missing a
> configuration option somewhere which says:
>
>  Check for new mail in: { INBOX only / Active folders / All folders }
>
> If I'm not just being unobservant, then that's the option I'd need to
> implement -- and which I'd like to know if I have a chance of getting
> accepted by the kmail developers.

See my other mail.

> Incidentally, is there any way I can see the IMAP traffic without having
> to use strace? I'm in the habit of running Evolution from a terminal
> with the CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG environment variable set so that I can
> actually see what it's doing; until I trust kmail, I'd like to do
> something similar.

You can either build the imap kioslave with debug symbols and watch it's
output or you need a network sniffer like ethereal.

Carsten