List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Blue scary screen
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-15 8:42:37

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 23:52, Tom Albers wrote:
> The blue screen which appears when selecting folders shows up on
> whenever I switch to another folder. When I'm home or at work does not
> make a difference, it is on every single change.  I can not start to
> explain how irritating this behaviour is.

I added this feature in Achtmaal after some talk with Ingo and Thomas, and for
me it has always worked as intended: it only shows up if fetching mail from
an IMAP folder takes more than a second. Admittedly, for t < splashDelay + 1
you would see the splash itself for less than a second. There is no easy way
too avoid that, apart from artificially delaying the hiding of the splash so
it has been visible at least a second.

It might not be the perfect solution to handle the problem of communicating
status to the user, but it was by *far* the easiest one to implement. I do
have an idea that might work better, but it will require quite a lot of code,
so it's somewhat unlikely it will ever see the light of day.

> I'm not sure how this has improved usability in any way, but discussing
> that will not be very productive. I'ld like to know if attached patch is
> acceptable.

I'd say it's not. 1 second is already quite a lot for user feedback, in
general GUIs should respond even sooner, but since there's the progress
thingy in the status bar that's acceptable enough. Plus, raising it to any
arbitrary amount will not solve the fundamental problem that if the operation
is finished shortly after it will appear to be flicker.

There is btw a true bug in the code somewhere that wasn't there in Achtmaal.
I've been using a KMail snapshot from back then for months (!) without any
problems, but since upgrading to 3.5 branch I occasionally hit a race
condition where the splash appears but doesn't hide anymore. The trigger
seems to be switching folders when the splash is visible but about to hide,
but I haven't investigated yet. As I said, that wasn't in the original
codebase, something must have changed elsewhere.

--
Martijn