List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch: For bugs #50997, #59685 and partially #41514
From:       Andreas Gungl <a.gungl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-08-11 18:55:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Donnerstag, 11. August 2005 03:20 schrieb Don Sanders:
> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 16:24, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 July 2005 06:39, Don Sanders wrote:
> > > At this current point in time I'm unaware of any outstanding
> > > bugs. However I haven't had time to hook up the action scheduler
> > > for local, pop, and dimap accounts, and for sent mail filtering.
> > > Also I would like to use the action scheduler for move, delete,
> > > and copy KMCommands to make them less blocking. Finally I haven't
> > > actually checked that the action scheduler makes spam filtering
> > > less blocking (but I expect it will, I'm using the work Till did
> > > in this area).
> >
> > So the action scheduler should work for manual filtering?
>
> Yes. If you add an action-scheduler=true entry to the [General]
> section of your kmailrc file then it should be used for manual
> filtering, (and also for online imap filtering).
>
> It won't be used for pop or local accounts, or sent mail filtering
> currently. (But I might work on these issues soon if I don't find any
> new bugs this week. Currently I'm testing using filters to move
> messages from one imap server to another, 12 hours of success so
> far).
>
> > I will
> > spend some time in testing it, and I will take care for the correct
> > logging.
>
> Thank you. I'm interested in your testing feedback (I didn't receive
> any yet) and also please feel free to ask me questions.

I'd tried it out in the meantime and it works fine for me (AFAICT after
filtering only a few messages into several folders). I'll extend my testing
in the next week.
The filtering really is a bit slow, but perhaps we can optimize that further.

> > Perhaps I can do some more regarding the integration of
> > the filter actions you mentioned above, but let me do one step
> > after another. ;-)
>
> Yes. But I do have one additional concern. IIRC you implemented the
> new copy filter action, this also needs to be modified to work with
> the action scheduler. That is it needs to work with the async
> interface (I'm guessing it does not already do so). This is also a
> todo issue.

Sure, and I intend to care for that as promised.
BTW, I've ported most of the filter logging stuff to the scheduler variant.
I'll commit tonight so that you can participate or at least benefit when
hunting filter problems. I hope to finish the work in the next days.

> Hmm, I do have another concern. About porting the KMCommands mentioned
> above to using the action scheduler. I wonder if the move, delete,
> and copy commands are optimized for IMAP servers, i.e. if they
> coalesce operations on contiguous messages into a single IMAP
> command. There maybe some performance issues that need to be taken
> into account. But nevermind, this porting of the KMCommands is just
> an optional would-be-nice-if-it-worked step.

Yes, let's better leave that for the next iteration.

Andreas