List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] New KMail dcop interface
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-20 8:57:55

On Monday 20 June 2005 17:10, Matt Douhan wrote:
> On Monday 20 June 2005 05.18, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Could you please also put them in the k_dcop_hidden section of
> > kmailIface so that the signatures of these new functions can be
> > changed without causing other (3rd party) developers to get
> > upset.
> >
> > Some (if not most 3rd party) developers consider the (non hidden)
> > dcop interfaces to be public.
>
> These are to be used by 3'd party applications and/or scripts and
> thus should be public,

Oh. Then I do have some concerns.

> or did I misunderstand what you ment?

No, you understood.

Can you include a comment stating that the functions may be modified
or removed without notice?

My concern is that, well the internal KMail design is not perfect,
there is a lot room for improvement, and I don't want to end up in a
situation where people can't improve the KMail internals because that
would break the public API.

That is providing functionality for 3rd parties shouldn't make it
difficult for people to improve the design of KMail in the future.

Albeit the list of functions you gave doesn't look problematic. But
you're potentially setting an important precendent.

Don Sanders.