List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Sieve support in KMail
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2005-06-07 5:21:38

Am Montag, 6. Juni 2005 22:33 schrieb Martijn Klingens:
> You guys are thinking too technically :)
>
> From a user perspective you just want to create a filter, period. Whether
> it's a POP3 filter (wth is that a separate menu entry?), an IMAP filter,
> procmail, or whatever doesn't matter the least.

Let me describe what problems I see in my current setup:

I have a dIMAP (on Kolab 2) account. I've written a sieve script which I've
uploaded to the IMAP server. Basically it filters messages into folders and
keeps stuff to be handled locally in the INBOX. Instead of the INBOX I'm
using another folder to have messages put in which are worth reading
because on a kind of an address whitelist but not moved into a descent
folder.
In the INBOX, there stay mainly log messages and spam which I don't want to
waste space on the server. So I filter them in KMail when checking the
account (moving them into local folders which expire soon, but where I can
at least check - logs in case of errors, spam for false positives). BTW, my
local spam filter rules reuse the spam flags set by the server, but they
find even more spam which has not been found by the server, because my
local tool is trained better (by myself for my needs).
So far, I haven't really used the vacation setting provided by KMail. AFAIU
it uploads and activates a sieve script containing the vacation rule.
Unfortunatly it breaks all other filters because my own script is inactive
then. Hell, when I'm back I have to filter manually the messages which came
in before I have (again manually) reactivated my own sieve script.

Well, I'm not sure who's gone reading the paragraphs above. But here is what
I would like to have:

Let's say I can create the filters in one dialog. I would like to know which
of the filters can be processed on the server. I would like to define it
for filters which can be processed in both locations.
I would have to know, that I better place filters to be processed on the
server in front of those to be processed locally.
I would like to have the vacation rule put in front of my other filters to
be processed on the server. KMail should take away the vacation setting and
still use the other server side filters when I deactivate the vacation
rule.

Looking at my current setup and rethinking the issues, I start to believe
that it might be possible to use the approach outlined by Martijn. It might
even work having more than one IMAP account.

To be a bit constructive because I know I would like to keep an overview
(and kind of phantastic because I know the effort), wouldn't it be good to
have an (optional)  tree view like this:

* filter 0
+- incoming
 +- server sided
  +- IMAP1