List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Sieve support in KMail
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-06 20:51:17

On Monday 06 June 2005 21:11, Heiko Hund wrote:
> I was also planning on some development for sieve support in kmail at some
> point in time soon. Good to hear that someone else is interested. I'd like
> to join in with the development if possible. However, don't expect too
> much, since it has been years since I helped hacking POP-Filters.

Well, it seems like we all have only limited time. I also got two off-list
replies of people who offered help, so with four we should be able to get the
ball rolling somehow.

Tomorrow I'll send all interested people the mail that I sent to Jan yesterday
so more people can look at it and perhaps add advice.

Alternatively I can open a new thread on this list if that's prefered. I'm
mostly looking at Mario now, since I'm not sure if he reads this list.

> I already have some wise comments to your post, though. =)

That's good :)

I replied to the first and last one in my reply to Andreas, only replying to
the rest:

> > - Any mail filters that are created in KMail and can also be handled by
> > Sieve are uploaded to the server automatically. The 'server supports
> > sieve' checkbox controls the use of Sieve. Filters are also created
> > clientside, to cover the case of multiple accounts of which only a subset
> > supports Sieve.
>
> See... I'm confused already! =)

Trying to rephrase this one:

If you have multiple accounts, and only some of them support Sieve, but all of
them should have the filters applied, then filters *have* to be kept at the
KMail level as well for local processing in case there's no Sieve.

The checkbox I referred to is already there, in the Account settings dialog,
and is already used by the Vacation code.

> Good thinking! I haven't thought of other clients yet. Concerning
> avelsieve: maybe we (or anyone) should fix avelsieve instead of including
> dirty hacks into kmail. Are all the other client you know capable of
> parsing sieve scripts?

Avelsieve is the only one I'm familiar with, I'd need to do more investigating
to answer that. (Or someone else could do this ;-)
http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php/SieveExtensionsSupportMatrix is a good
starting point.)

As for fixing Avelsieve, if you think you can write a Sieve parser in PHP then
by all means try to fix it upstream. Otherwise we'll either have to
explicitly not support Avelsieve, or add hacks to KMail. Since Kolab already
has unofficial support for Horde, it's more important to get it to work with
Horde's filter manager Ingo than with Avelsieve to be frank. See
http://www.horde.org/ingo for more info on that. I don't know how well or bad
it supports Sieve though.

> Having an own dialog, we could implement the complete sieve stuff without
> thinking about compatibility with local filters.

See my other mail, that's just projecting the technical backend on the GUI
instead of having a GUI that's optimized for the user experience rather than
the technicalities behind it.

--
Martijn