List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Full Text Indexing for KMAIL: SUBMISSION
From:       Luís_Pedro_Coelho <luis () luispedro ! org>
Date:       2005-05-27 20:56:01

Hi,

After a couple of versions and a month of ironing out many small issues, I
think that the I have a submission ready version of my full-text indexing
patch for kmail. Right now it does the following:

- indexes all your mail on local and dimap folders. This is done "on the
background" with small overhead over normal usage. It can be done over
several sessions since it takes a long time.
- filters your email using the search bar
- searches on multiple folders using the search dialog
- automatically keeps track of incoming mail and moves between folders
- detects unexpected exits (ie crashes) to avoid a corrupted index

There are a couple of issues which could be improved in particular I would
like to work a bit on re-working kmail's search system to better make use of
the index, but this is not critical. Also support "*term" searches is on my
TODO (don's request).

I have grown so used to this feature that I cannot imagine working without it
anymore. At work I use mozilla (i am not root to install my own software) and
it's very frustrating not to have this.

The only remaining issue I see is packaging. Right now, the kmail code
depends on the indexing library being installed. Probably the best thing
would be if ./configure autodetects the indexing library and conditionally
compiles kmail with or without it. Users and distros should get the package
at its source. Could anyone help me out here? I would need help in figuring
the best way to make the library "findable" and what the corresponding
configure script should look like. Just a pointer to an example which you
consider to be "well done" is fine.

Other than that, I would ask for the core team to have a look at the code and
try this out and tell me what they think. IMHO, this could be submitted to
SVN as it is.

thanks,
--
luispedro