List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kdepim/kmail
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-28 23:39:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 28 February 2005 02:36, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2005 23:19, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> > CVS commit by danimo:
> >
> > less insulting for people that actually don't start it for the
> > first time + rewording.
> >

> >   M +5 -2      accountwizard.cpp   1.2
>
> Why is the wizard shown on startup of KMail anyway? This is annoying
> for all people wanting to see the program (e.g. because they already
> have configured an account or they just want to have a look).

I've already committed a change which makes sure that the wizard is only
shown the very first time KMail is started.

> If the first impression of KMail is a potentially insulting dialog
> instead of the carefully crafted welcome page, we do something very
> wrong.

I agree.

> I would suggest to start the wizard only when:
> - the user tries to send mail and no account is configured.

It needs already to be shown when the user tries to create a new message
(because for this an identity is needed).

> - the user tries to receive mail and no account is configured

ACK

> - the user explicitly requests to configure a mail account

The wizard doesn't only configure accounts but it also sets the default
identity. Therefore this doesn't make sense IMO. Though we could offer
the wizard to the user the first time he tries to open the
configuration dialog. Of course, he should be able to use the real
configuration dialog if he doesn't want to use the wizard.

> A very nice way is to put the wizard as link on the welcome page as
> done in Kontact.

If I'm not mistaken then I proposed this already to Tobias.

> That feels just right. Forcing the wizard on the
> user on startup feels just wrong because it's way too intrusive.
> Configuring an application means pain to the user, so we should try
> to hide this as far as possible.

Well, the difference between an email application and most other
applications is that it's not possible to use an email application
without setting up the account (local spool and local sendmail are not
really reasonable defaults for most users). I'm not sure whether
popping up the wizard on first start is a bad idea. Of course, the
wizard should show a nice welcome message instead of the current
message, it should be easy to skip the wizard and it needs to be
explained how the user can restart the wizard. The fact that most apps
don't pop up a wizard on first usage probably indicates that it's not a
good thing to do so. I just don't know.

Regards,
Ingo