List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail drag and drop
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-30 20:59:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 19:23, Sébastien Laoût [temporar] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm the BasKet programmer:
> http://les83plus.free.fr/sebastien.laout/basket/
> The program is all about drag and dropping: it allow to collect
> various things and keep them related and on hand.

BasKet looks like a really interesting application.

> In that spirit, some users ask me to be able to drop mails from KMail
> into a basket.
> A user even given me a good example: it was applying for a job and he
> put all the associated items (mail, CV, the job subscription, the
> letter, phone number, etc...) togever.
>
> I looked at the transfert, and KMail provides only the
> "x-kmail-drag/message-list" MIME type.
> And by looking better it seem with very few interesting data. I think
> it is only used internaly for moving/copying mails.

I think Don explained this sufficiently.

> I tryed with Evolution and it give more interesting data:
> - x-evolution-message (contain
> "file:///home/seb/evolution/local/Inbox\010568")
> - message/rfc822 (contain the integral message)
> - text/uri-list (contain
> "file:///tmp/evolution-501-3377/drag-n-drop-QEIsZ3/Re: basket")
> When dragging more than one mail at a time, the uri-list contain a
> link to a mbox file
> ("file:///tmp/evolution-501-3377/drag-n-drop-3muxAc/mbox"), but the
> rfc822 contain nothing (bad), the x-evolution-message add a '\0' and
> a mail number for each mail at the end.
>
> So, I would want to know if you can do the same sort of job when
> dragging a mail?
>
> Because the mail can be very long and would full the basket, a user
> asked me if I can create a link to the mail(s) instead of copying it
> entirly.
> I think to present an option to the user which 1/ Link the mail 2/
> Copy the mail.
> When a "mail link" in the basket would be clicked, it should open
> KMail and saying to show the related mail.
> Eventually open it even if the mail was moved to another KMail
> folder.
>
> I don't know if it is possible.
> I looked at the KMail source code but never found any reference to
> "x-kmail-drag/message-list"! So I can't know if it contain enought
> data to make the link working.
> I don't find any DCOP function or kmail parameter to open a defined
> mail (link feature), so that isn't possible for the moment, I
> suppose.

It seems that you can't use the showEmail dcop call from the command
line, but you should be able to use it from your program. Hidden dcop
calls are just hidden from users of kdcop and the dcop command line
tool.

> To summarize, what I would ask to you:
> - Provide more MIME types when drag'n'drop message(s): at least
> "message/rfc822"

vote for the corresponding wish at bugs.kde.org or file a new one if it
doesn't exist already; it's really not that easy to implement this
because of the asynchronous nature of IMAP and the
load-attachments-on-demand functionality. I wonder how Evolution
manages to write the complete message to a temporary file as soon as a
drag is started. OTOH for IMAP messages we could simply return an
imap-URI. Hmm. This could actually work. Too bad I don't have any time
for trying this.

> - It should also work for multiple mail dragging: provide a mbox MIME
> type

dito

> - Is it possible with the current "x-kmail-drag/message-list" to
> identify uniquely (and even after a (re)moving) messages, to call
> them later?

Yes, the serial number Don was speaking about is unique.

> - This can be done by associating an unique identifier number to
> mails, and do not reuse them after deletion (until there is suficient
> ID numbers)

That already happens.

> - Don't know if the Evolution temporar "text/uri-list" is useful.
> Just a great addition.

That's basically one solution for your first two wishes. Obviously
Evolution writes the message/mbox to a temporary file.

> - Offer command line paramter to directly position KMail viewing a
> given unique mail (and go_to/open the containing folder before, if
> necessary) AND/OR another option to open a viewer window to this mail
> (without the main window).

dcop already provides this functionality. If we think the dcop API is
stable enough for making it publically available then we will do so.

Regards,
Ingo