List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Multiple selection support for the filter dialog
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-29 20:56:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 29 August 2004 10:42, Don Sanders wrote:
> Finally I take it that at least at this stage, no one objects to
> adding a 'for this account' combobox. That's really what I need for
> client side imap filtering. As I said the multiple selection idea is
> just about making it easier for existing users to upgrade. I guess
> unless you have a change of opinion or another core developer
> supports the idea of multiple selection and tri-state checkboxes I'll
> just drop that idea for now, and instead focus on getting a 'for this
> account' combobox working.

A combobox is a very bad idea because that would mean that the user can
bind a filter to exactly one IMAP account. Sure, for most users that
would probably be sufficient, but I'm not in favor for such an
inflexible solution. As I see it we basically have two options:

a) Make all filters depend on exactly one account (POP or IMAP). One
possibility to do this would be to show all accounts as top level
entries in the filter list and all filters as second level entries
below the corresponding accounts.
Problem: Lots of filters are duplicated. If one filter is changed then
all its twins probably also need to be changed.
So a) is basically out of question IMO.

b) Add a checkbox (apply to all accounts) and some other widget for
individual selection.

One really though problem is the addition of new IMAP accounts. What
should happen? Should all filters work for the new account? Should only
filters which are associated with at least one IMAP account be
associated with the account?

Hmm, I think the only sensible option is to add a checkbox "Also apply
on IMAP folders".

I'm not really lucky with any of the solutions. Do we actually need such
an option? What's wrong with simply using the value of the "Apply on
incoming mail" setting? After all, new IMAP messages are incoming mail.

Regards,
Ingo