List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Nother gotcha in 3.3-beta2
From:       "Malte S. Stretz" <msquadrat.nospamplease () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-08-01 14:12:56

On Saturday 31 July 2004 21:18 CET Andreas Gungl wrote:
> I'm not really sure whether it's a good idea to change that. Will people
> understand that most spam is less than 250 KB when they look at the rule?
> I'm afraid we get more questions then.

What do you prefer
(a) Questions to which you can answer "that's the way the SpamAssassin
developers recommend it"
(b) User boxes which are grinded to their knees when big mesages arrive.

Remember that *every* mail is scanned in the first place, also you PHB's
mail with those multi-meg presentation slides or you friend's cool holdiay
photos. At peaks, SpamAssassin needs about four to ten times the memory of
the original message. And also remember that KMail is still completely
useless while any filters with external apps run.

> Whoever wants to change the rule can do it anyway. The documentation
> states that the wizard provides only a basic setup.

Right, and the recommended basic setup is not to scan big messages, the
limit randomly chosen at 250k which is already pretty heavy. Whoever wants
to shoot himself in the knee can indeed change that limit to something
else.

> It's the same like the problem of using spamassassin vs. spamc.

No, not really :)

> And IIRC I have read somewhere that spamassassin anyway doesn't check
> files greater than 250 KB. I would have to look up this, but it would
> render the rule useless.

spamc has a default limit of 250k built in, overridable with the -s switch.
The spamassassin script, which (if I may say that again :) is not the
recommened way running SpamAssassin on a daily basis, doesn't have any size
limits. This will probably change for 3.1, but currently it relies on the
user too feed it only reasonably sized mail.

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>