List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail blocks just before checking POP3 mailboxes
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-06-02 4:18:17

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 06:13, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 June 2004 06:35, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Some versions of some pop servers sometimes erroneously return an
> > empty list of uids (a bug in these pop servers that is totally
> > non-reproducible). This causes all mail to be downloaded again
> > (causing duplicate downloads) for people who leave mail on the
> > server.
> >
> > Maybe it would be ok to only apply the
> >  +    if (uidsOfNextSeenMsgs.isEmpty())
> >  +       uidsOfNextSeenMsgs = uidsOfSeenMsgs;
> > check when the user has _not_ selected the option to leave mail
> > on the server?
>
> Has _not_ selected the option to leave mail on the server? Are you
> sure?

The list of seen messages is being properly trimmed in the leave mail
on server case (verified) so that case is fine and the problem is
only occurring for the _not_ leave mail on server case.

> In this case uidsOfNextSeenMsgs will always be empty because
> only messages which have already been seen (i.e. none in case of
> not leaving mail on the server) will be added to this list during
> the uidl stage.

Good.

> The fetched messages will be added to this list
> _after_ they have actually been fetched (which is correct because
> otherwise some messages might get lost in case downloading is
> interrupted).

Right, that's an important intentional part of the design.

> Therefore in case of _not_ leaving mail on the server
> the seenUidList did constantly grow.

Right.

> With the current version this shouldn't happen anymore because the
> UIDs of all messages which have been deleted from the server are
> removed from the seenUidList before the list is written to the file
> for the next check. So the seenUidList will be empty if no message
> was left on the server.

Ok. And this new version still robustly handles the case of the pop
server erroneously reporting an empty uid list when leaving mail on
the server? That is if the server erroneously reports an empty uid
list then this won't result in all mail being downloaded on the
server again on the subsequent check (when the old uids reappear)?

> Moreover the list of old seen msgs is now only copied if the user
> leaves mail on the server and if the server really didn't send any
> UIDs although there are new messages.

Don't quite follow this part, hence my above question.

Don.