List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH: Outlook compatible attachment naming
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-04-29 0:01:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 07:44, Черепанов Андрей wrote:
> > > I know. I have situation to use Russian filename (without
> > > transliteration). How I can do it?
> >
> > You have only two options:
> > a) Don't use Russian filenames.
> > b) Tell the Outlook (Express) using recipients of your messages
> > that they should use Mozilla or another mail client that can handle
> > the correctly encoded attachment filenames KMail (and any other
> > standard compliant email client) sends.
>
> This situation is similar to dictatorship: we know about (and
> implement) only "right" things and ignore other opinion from simple
> user. I'd like to resolve this conflict with us.

You are right about one thing: In Free Software projects those who code
decide. Mere users don't have any power over the development team. But
because it's Free Software the users can take the source code and
implement the changes they want themselves.

OTOH, with proprietary software the users neither have any power over
the development team nor do they have the possibility to change the
software.

> I don't use any proposal solutions because it more political problem:
> most my recipients use Outlook/Novell GroupWise and they don't change
> our mail client (Outlook/Novell GroupWise is corporate standarts for
> their organization).

So you want me to throw all my principles over board just because some
multi-billion dollar companies can't implement support for a simple
RFC? Obviously Microsoft doesn't deem it necessary to implement this
RFC because everybody else follows their lead (or should I say
dictatorship?) and implements an obsolete RFC instead. Everybody else?
No, there a small team of developers who resists the Roman^WRedmondian
empire...

Sorry, but there's nothing I can add to this thread. I've stated my
opinion. I and a few others code, and so I and those few others decide.
Feel free to fork KMail and implement RFC 2184.

Regards,
Ingo