List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch: kill running jobs so that kmail exits
From:       Ingo =?windows-1252?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-04-27 19:59:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 15:17, David Faure wrote:
> Currently if you close the last kmail mainwindow and some account is
> still checking mails (e.g. the IMAP server hangs, or you're just in a
> hurry and want to leave soon :), the kmail process doesn't exit
> [until the mail check is over].
>
> This is because both mainwindows and jobs keep a ref() on
> KApplication. This seems wrong in KMail's context, but think about
> people downloading URLs in konqueror: when you close the last
> konqueror window, you _do_ want your downloads to finish before the
> konqueror process exits.
>
> In KMail it's different, closing the windows means that mail checking
> should stop (when there's no systray icon), right?

No. Full NAK.

> See attached patch.

You are only handling the case that it's the main window that's closed.
You don't handle the case that one of the secondary windows (composer
or message window) is closed as last window. At least, I don't see why
KMMainWin::queryExit() should be called in this case.

Moreover sending must not be aborted if the composer window is closed
because otherwise it would be impossible to send a message by starting
KMail with "kmail email@address" without a running KMail. But your
patch only seems to abort POP and IMAP jobs.

Did you try what happens if a user sends a message like in the previous
paragraph and uses a sent-mail folder on the IMAP server? Is the sent
message still uploaded?

Furthermore I'm not sure whether longer IMAP operations should be
aborted. Why should this be done? Sure, a hanging job should be killed,
but all other jobs should keep running (unless KDE is shut down).

If a POP download job is aborted then the next time the already
downloaded messages will be downloaded again. That's surely not what
the user wants.

Regards,
Ingo