List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: tabbed email, a revolutionary new concept!
From:       Dan Allen <dan () mojavelinux ! com>
Date:       2004-02-29 15:56:53

> Tabbed email changes the way you use your email client by allowing you to
> open email views (folders, messages, composers) in background tabs and then
> work with each of them in turn.  Tabbed email makes it much easier to keep
> track of several email related tasks at once by letting you manage them in
> a single pane.  No longer will you have to jump around from message to
> message to collect information or look for the composer screen in your
> taskbar.  Each view aligns side-by-side, allowing you the most efficient
> experience in email messaging.

There is no reason why you still cannot have the option to have a "preview"
pane below the message list.  The tabs would then just replace any secondary
windows that would be created.  Personally I don't like the preview pane
because it is too cramped and I don't want messages automatically opened as I
am not always interested in reading them.  I am positive that tabbed browsing
could fit all styles of email reading.  We have proved that tabs are
exceptionally useful in browsers, so it is only natural to extend that to
email clients.

I also posted this to the kmail-devel list, but I was afraid that list was
just for bugs...if you want to reply, perhaps it would be better to refer to
the message on that list...I didn't mean to cross post.

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kmail-devel&m=107803710707274&w=2

Dan