List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: What an Ex-Windows user doesn't get
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-15?q?K=F6bele?= <martin () mkoebele ! de>
Date:       2004-01-18 10:15:12

On Saturday 17 January 2004 22:00, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> - setting up his accounts:
> 	- he didn't figure out what a pre-command is -> Move that to an "expert"
> tab or something, plus anything that you wouldn't need, such as security :)

	for cases like this, people might click either on that "what's
this"-questionmark in the titlebar of the dialogwindow and click in that
field "pre-command" - but no help would popup. Or the user might click on the
"Help"-button. Actually a konqui opens with a page, but what page do you
expect? I would expect a page which says something about setting the
pop3-server. But "Help" opens the "Kontact"-page...

> - users usually only have a password for the pop3 server and not for the
> smtp. For them, setting up the pop3 server is the most important.
> Therefore, I suggest switching the tabs in the Network settings, so
> Receiving comes first, then Sending.
I agree.

> 	- enable interval mail checking: He thought he could set that to hours or
> even say, 1 day interval. The current option only allows minutes and that
> up to 4 digits, so the maximum would be 9999 minutes. Who has ever dealt
> with minutes easily realizes that everyday people count their time in hours
> as soon as the number of minutes exceeds 60 and in days when the hours
> exceed 24. So I would like to make that feature more suitable for everyday
> use. 1 minute intervals are the minimum currently as a default, I would
> suggest setting that to 1 hour, which is not reasonable for us network
> people where 1 minute makes more sense but for the average user this would
> be enough

don't get rid of the 1min check interval. Maybe you could make a combobox
behind the spinbox which says the unit either "min" or "hour".
Or better two spinboxes in a row, the first one for hours, the second one for
minutes, to make it easier to set an interval like 1 hour 30mins (who wants
to figure out that duration in minutes? ;) )

Martin