List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Search Dialog
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-01-08 0:22:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 14:53, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Here is a proposal for the new search dialog; its a designer file,
> but as you can't use it as is, I created a screenshot instead.

Thanks for the proposal. It's good to have something before our eyes so
we can better talk about it.

First impression: The search dialog looks much less cluttered which is
mainly due to the usage of boxes. Good.

> I renamed 'search all local folders' to 'all folders' since the
> current dialog does not limit itself to local folders either, IMAP
> folders are also searched.

Looks good.

> Fewer: should remove empty conditions first, last one if none are
> empty. Fewer: will remove entries until 1 is left.

That's reasonable.

> Clear all: brings up a 'don't ask again' dialog and clears all
> entries afterwards; resetting count to 2.

For about (95+epsilon)% of all searches that I do I only need 1
condition. IMO we should default to 1 condition.

> Save as...: will bring up a dialog as in the second attachment.

I like this a lot better than current solution (which confused me a lot
when I used it for the first time although I knew exactly what it
should do). The only thing that's missing is a way to open (i.e. jump
to) the folder with the result of the search.

> The checkbox "I'm an Expert' will make the conditions combo-boxes be
> filled with more entries; as is shown in the right side of the
> screeny. Notice that the editable-combobox will have a lot more
> entries in the expert mode as well.

I'm not sure I like this checkbox. On one hand it would be nice to be
able to remove some of the options that normal users probably don't
need (e.g. reg. exp. matching). OTOH, it's not at all clear (to the
user) that checking "I'm an Expert" will give him more possibilities.
So I'm undecided, but I see that a reduced set of options would be
beneficial for the non-geek.

Another improvement would be to only show the numerical comparison
operators (is greater than, etc.) for numerical fields, e.g. for <size
in bytes> and <age in days>. On the same time "contains", etc.
shouldn't be shown for numerical comparison. Also for <status> only
"is" and "is not" should be shown. With this approach the comparison
operator drop down box would already be less cluttered even in expert
mode. The only thing the expert mode would change is showing/hiding the
two reg.exp. options.

A thing that's currently missing is a way to specify that a search
condition should be case-sensitive. This could be solved by a small
button with the (translatable) labels [A=a] and [A!=a] (where != would
be a crossed out '=').

> I wrote (in the second attachment) that the _result_ of the search is
> saved in the search folder. I wrote this since I can't find a way to
> re-run a search. But that seems silly; so did I just miss the option?

Search folders are dynamically updated. So re-running a saved search
without changing the search conditions is unnecessary. If you want to
re-run a saved search with changed search conditions then you have to
search the corresponding search folder. We have to add an appropriate
menu entry to the context menu of search folders.

More thoughts:
- I don't like the removal of the status bar. It's nice to see what
happens especially if multiple folders are searched so that one can try
to estimate when the search will be completed. IMO some way to give
feedback to the user is necessary. A separate progress dialog would be
too obtrusive. So a status bar seems to be the best solution.

- Now a radical thought:
Let's remove the search results list view from the search dialog. The
search folders are so much better for doing something with the search
result than the tiny search result list view. At the same time we could
get rid of the "Save as" or "Rename" or whatever stuff because I think
it will feel much more natural to the user to simply rename the search
dialog (maybe add a "Rename" entry to the search folder context menu).
It's debatable when the search folder should be selected. Should it be
selected as soon as the search started? Or should we add a button "Show
search results"? I think the latter is the better approach.

- Move the buttons from the right to the bottom of the dialog.
Reasoning: The search dialog is too wide. In some languages (e.g.
French; there's a bug report about it) it's much too wide. The
translators can't do much about it. English expressions are almost
always among the shortest expressions in all languages which use Latin
characters. I heard that Microsoft designed their GUI so that it looks
good in German (because German expressions seem to be among the longest
expressions). "If a dialog isn't too big in German, then it will be
okay in all other languages, too."

I'm looking forward to your comments.

Regards,
Ingo