List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Search Dialog
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-28 21:38:03

I read in the mail archive that people (Don) are satisfied with the search
dialog; which really really surprises me!
The search dialog is very unintuitive and the concept of search folders seems
to be slammed in without any thought whatsoever.

First some global things; the buttons on the right (search/stop/close) are
part of the dialog while each and every dialog in KDE makes those a different
level. Take a look at the find dialog in konqueror to see that even there
there is a visual line between those buttons and the rest.
I fail to see why the comboboxes are editable, plus it has an strangly
(unintuitive) ordered list of items.  So make it un-editable; or remove 70%
of the options.   On top of that, put the most used ones at the top.  Making
it uneditable additionally solves the problem that I can currently search
even while all comboboxes are empty.

The text fields are way too high (using keramic here and it seems the text
fields take the same size of the comboboxes). Does not fit in the rest of
KDE.

The Fewer button stops working while I have 2 entries; I should be able to
remove the 2nd entry!
The clean button should ask for confirmation.
Pressing 'fewer' should remove empty searches first so I can remove the 2nd
while the 3th is filled.

The statusbar at the bottom has the default text 'Ready.'  This is out of line
with the rest of the application; ready is not needed, plus the dot at the
end looks funny.

The status bar fails to put some spacing left of the text making it harder to
read. Additionally; I never actually see something like 'searching', its
either Ready or Done.

Stop fails to save my search (I did not say cancel did I?)

I have to double click to open an email in the KMail front end, which is
against KDE policy.

Sender/Receiver always shows sender, even if the item comes from a folder
where the default is set to receiver.

Ok, I'll stop now..

I'm not going into the 'open'/'rename' buttons issue as that has been
discussed recently; just that I fully agree that its needed for the 3.2
release.

In short; people that feel the search dialog is ready to ship are not doing
the KMail project a service; I feel that it should get a good makeover or
even that certain functionality (search folders) should be disbled for this
release.

Last point; do you feel that I need to open 20 bugreports on this? Or is
someone willing to implement a UI file if I create one?

- --
Thomas Zander