List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Toolbar entries for mark as spam/ham are misleading
From:       Andreas Gungl <a.gungl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-10-30 22:45:07

On Thursday 30 October 2003 22:56, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Thursday 30 October 2003 13:54, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > BTW I'm still thinking about how to bridge the gap between (filter)
> > actions and status flag changes. Triggering a filter can be done via
> > menu, can have an icon and can be done via the toolbar. This might be
> > perfect to have a filter which marks messages as spam and pipe it to
> > an external anti spam tool (e.g. sa-learn or bogofilter). A status
> > change marks the message but can't currently get associated with an
> > action.
> > Okay, this is something for 3.2, but if somebody has a good idea
> > please let me know (Marc?).
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you want, so I answer into the blue ;-)
>
> Yes, I think the mark as spam/mark as ham actions will confuse users.
> They will be perceived as actually doing something, not as toggling a
> bit in the index file.

ACK. Just the status icon is interesting, but that means no functionality is
behind as one could expect.

> If we want something that actually does something, we could preload
> kmailrc with filters for spamassassin and bogofilter and disable them,
> but make them available as actions. kconf_update could be used to add
> them to existing kmailrc's ;-)

Good idea, but it's only 50%. Mark as spam / ham means to let the tools
learn from your manual classification. We could provide this, but it's no
real benefit for the users when you have no real filtering and moving to
certain destinations.

> They would be hard to find (under apply filter actions), would have a
> funny name (Apply Filter Mark As SPAM, though the prepending of the
> "apply filter" string could be removed), but they would be there.

You got it. In the meantime it's possible to map these actions to toolbar
"buttons". This is what would make sense IMO when marking a message as spam
it gets filtered resp. piped to the tools in learn mode.

Marc, what we discuss here is covered in my wizard. (To bad that it was to
late for it.) I have currently a detection for sa and bogofilter.
Afterwards the user can select the tools for which filters should get
provided (messages will get piped through the tools). The user may select a
folder to put the spam into (default is trash) and let optionally create
filters for the classification as spam / ham - that's what's described
above. It's not perfect but it's working and I do still improve it.

I think it's best to minimize the possibilities for wrong expectations of
the users regarding KMail 1.6 and after the freeze I will work on a
solution for the next (intermediate) release of KMail.

Andreas
- --
    ~
  ' v '