List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH: Asynchronous filtering
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-10-29 16:13:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 01:15, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 October 2003 10:37, Marc Mutz wrote:
<snip>
> > However, I can almost surely tell you that I will have to fight for
> > good code to go in just as I fight bad code to keep out.
>
> Man, you are becoming paranoid (maybe because you insist on telling
> everyone that Bielefeld actually exists ;-) ).

Yeah, I should stop that. They made me believe it existed, but the I
found out I actually lived 20km away from where it should be and
finally understood why I always fall asleep in the bus :-)

> Did I ever veto
> against any of your commits? I don't think so.

I never touched your code, so that was easy ;-) How would you like it if
I messed with kpgp::ui and abstracted it away from kpgp::bg, so the
gpgme-based stuff can use it, too?

> > Just look at Ingo's comments about refactoring being useless
>
> Thanks for repeatedly citing me out-of-context and for making private
> disputes public. :-(

I apologize. I forgot that comment was made in a tighter circle. :-(

> I wrote (the readers of this mailing list won't remember because I
> wrote this in a private (!) mail exchange between several PIM
> developers): "BTW, why didn't you help with the merge [of the
> kroupware_branch] instead of beautifying/refactoring ObjectTreeParser
> et al.? Your refactoring commits were IMO the most useless commits
> that were made in the last few weeks. That could have really waited
> until after KDE 3.2."
>
> I never said that refactoring is useless per se. It just wasn't the
> right time for refactoring in my opinion.

To which I replied that the refactorings were not useless, because they
fixed several bugs in the display code and will fix several bugs in the
reply path in the future.

> > and gpgme being GPL....
>
> So it's bad that I think ahead?

No, of course not.

> KMail is not the only application
> that would benefit from a KDE abstraction of gpgme which therefore of
> course should become part of kdelibs. But currently GPL'd libs are
> not allowed in kdelibs. I didn't make this rule and I'm not even sure
> that I like it (because I didn't consider all the pros and cons yet).
> I just pointed out that therefore the GPL license of gpgme could be a
> problem in the future.

Yes, and you can only break that dumb requirement if you have good
reasons. gpgme is one good reason. gnutls and gsasl are two others
(parts of gnutls are GPL, e.g. OpenPGP/TLS support). Putting Kpgp into
kdelibs removes one of those reasons. :-)

> > BTW, the same goes for othe KDE areas: Using gsasl (also GPL)
> > instead of rolling our own (buggy) sasl implementation. Has anyone
> > gotten DIGEST-MD5 to work in any protocol recently? Simon even
> > offered to help us make use of gsasl, yet we^WI still have to debug
> > kdesasl.
>
> First time I hear about this, so I can't comment on this.

There's a bug report about kdesasl not supporting NTLM that sparked
this.

> > And to make the round complete: We use OpenSSL, which is
> > GPL-incompatible. In a way, that makes us (as in KDE) violate the
> > GPL, with the result that if anyone starts enforcing the GPL terms
> > on us, we may lose the right to use the GPL. Now, there is gnutls,
> > which is even LGPL. Let's wait to see if the KSSL guys accept a
> > KDE4 w/o openssl? I bet they won't. We had endless discussions with
> > George about why Werner rolled his own S/MIME implementation for
> > Aegypten instead of using KSSL. The simple answer is and ever was:
> > Because KSSL is illegal. But that was ignored. :-(
>
> I agree that this might be a problem ("might" because I'm no lawyer
> so I'm not qualified to comment on this). But you are writing to the
> wrong mailing list, Marc.
<snip>

Aegypten is on-topic for this list, as is S/MIME, isn't it? The license
issue was already discussed on kde-core-devel some time ago.

Marc

--
I am Bush of USA. You will be pacified. Resistance is futile.