List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE task orientation -> Konqueror-KMail integration / Folder
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-10-24 9:17:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 24 October 2003 07:08, Don Sanders wrote:
<snip>
> I think to avoid confusion, and the need for re-iteration it makes
> sense to commit this written account of the process to cvs in a
> POLICY file.
<snip>

I think the main problem we're having here is that different groups of
KMail developers have different visions for the future of KMail as a
stand-alone application as well as a part of Kontact.

I think from time to time those visions should be clearly spelled out
from all sides involved, so that we don't act childish in public
whenever a developer seems to declare his personal vision (in mail or
commit) in a way that hides the fact that it's his.

To boot this, I'll start:

I'd like KMail to go into the direction of what it's currently strong in
already. I think this is security, internationalization, filtering, as
well as innovative MIME handling (which it lacks currently, except for
the MIME part tree viewer).

Security here means better integration of the Aegypten stuff to the
point that S/MIME and OpenPGP/Aegypten and KPGP combine the best
features of them to form a multi-protocol client that is even more
user-friendly as the KPGP-based code is now. It's clear that the
boundaries between S/MIME and OpenPGP are blurring by the day. I hope
we can create innovative UIs that expressedly blur that boundary for
the user, too.

Internationalization here means that we leverage the advantage of a
Unicode-centric Free Software project and be among the first to
implement whatever comes out of IMAA. Another open problem that no-one
(!) has yet solved in the whole industry of messaging systems is
virtuous and intuitive handling of multi-lingual (or better:
multi-script) message composing. This is an area where we need to
innovate and actually do research; an area where we can't copy from
Outlook or even the master of the art - Mulberry - simply because
everyone sucks in this area :-)

Filtering here means native Sieve, of course. The area of Sieve GUI
editors is currently claimed by web-based approaches as well as the
primitive Mulberry Sieve editor. This is also an immensely interesting
area of UI design: How do you implement an UI that allows the full
power of the Sieve language to be expressed in a user-friendly form? I
don't know. Yet.

With innovative MIME handling I mean composing complex MIME mails that
help implement the Security and Internationalization points above. E.g.
mp/alternative that differ in Content-Language only. Or mp/signed whose
second part is a mp/alternative, allowing a message to be signed in
both S/MIME and PGP/MIME format. I'd really like to explore how the
support for this construction is in other mailers. Another area is
rich-text editing with automatic choice of format (plain, f=f,
enriched, html, alternative).

Apart from a clear layering (which is a technical point), I think that's
where I see the strengths of KMail and potentials for enhancement with
the aim to be different (read: on top of the competition instead of
copying behind it).

I don't feel the need for KMail to become a document management system,
or a frontend for one. I think making the reader a part and the
composer a part or even a separate application makes it possible to
implement all sorts of interesting custom or standard workflow and
document management systems, but I believe that's out of the scope of
KMail as an app, and that's probably what Ingo tried to say.

I see the need for KMail to implement more of the IMAP standard (mostly
ACLs, SEARCH), but unless it starts itching me, I will not scratch that
area. We have enough clever people working on that already :-)

Marc

--
Nie wird so viel gelogen wie vor der Wahl, während des Kriegs und nach
der Jagd                                          -- Otto von Bismarck