List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE task orientation -> Konqueror-KMail integration /
From:       "Eugene Nine" <enine () ninefamily ! com>
Date:       2003-10-23 19:41:02

From: Ingo Klöcker <kloecker@kde.org>
Date:  Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:36:52 +0200

> On Thursday 23 October 2003 15:06, Krisztian Mark Szentes wrote:
> > as to the task orientation discussed on this list, I would love to
> > have not only e-mail (bodies) within KMail folders but also
> > documents.
> >
> > A usual project has several e-mails and other documents (e.g. text or
> > spreadsheets) attached to it. Currently, I organise the documents in
> > Konqueror folders (which are filesystem directories as we all know)
> > and the e-mails in KMail folders. Additionally, I save the e-mails in
> > the Konqueror folders as well, so I can search for them more easily
> > and have all data at a single glance. Usually, e-mail text gets
> > recognized as simple text in Konqueror, so when I click on it, I open
> > it in the default text editor. Even if it gets recognized as e-mail
> > text, I cannot pass any command line arguments to kmail to open it as
> > e-mail (it just gets set as e-mail body text as a whole, including
> > all the headers).
> >
> > So it would be great if I could create folders in KMail and associate
> > them with filesystem directories, and open(/store) files from (into)
> > them within KMail. [I can choose the maildir format and store there
> > documents but they do not get displayed and I cannot arbitrarily set
> > the maildir location]. Konqueror, on the other hand, should open
> > e-mails right in KMail. This needs decent MIME magic and new KMail
> > command line options.
>
> KMail is and will always be an email client, no more, no less. But at
> some point it might be possible to directly show email messages in
> Konqueror or a not yet existant Task Manager.
>
> > P.S. Are binary attachments (screenshots) welcome on this list?
>
> No. Put them on a webpage.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

This might be a suggestion to pass on to the Kontact development list.  They are \
building a front end to somewhat integrate Kmail, with Korganizer, Kaddressbook and \
Knotes.  I have recently switched form the Windows world and was used to MS Outlook \
which had some integration between functions and coule browse the file system as \
well.  The main problem with outlook was its PST data file.  I could use catagories \
or even customize a form to keep track of items by project but would quickly run out \
of room attaching documents (PST files had a 2G limit).  My thought swould be to \
extend the catagories functionality to Kmail and Konqueror so I can group files \
according to catagory and use the catagories to keep track of various projects and \
such.

Sent via the HostPortal WebMail system at ninefamily.com