List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Antivirus addon: only pipe mail with attachments?
From:       bk <bk390934 () skynet ! be>
Date:       2003-09-28 22:54:04

On Sunday 28 September 2003 22:58, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 28 September 2003 20:07, bk wrote:
> > I want to write an antivirus add-on for KMail.
> > How can I tell KMail to only pipe mails with attachments to the
> > antivirus script? The size-based filter is not accurate enough for
> > this.
>
> It's currently not possible to filter for messages with attachments. But
> there's already a wish for this (IIRC). You might want to vote for it.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

I went through the wish list but I didn't find a generic 'if contains 1 or
more attachments do" type of filter.

Using regexps it is possible to filter for specific (types of) attachments,
but what if the virus is inside a zip file? What if the extension or filename
is something non-standard. Attachments can be of all kinds of types, sizes
and names. What to filter for to catch them all??

I also think that regexps are a powerful feature for sysadmins or experienced
users but that they are far too complicated for the normal KMail user.

Perhaps I should add my own wish to the list.