List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Having trouble config Kmail in new install of Mandrake 9.1
From:       "Michael S. Mikowski" <z_mikowski () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-09-24 17:50:20

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 12:34, Lou Ann Gustafson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sending this message on my wife's computer since mine will not send
> it.
>
> I have read the docs and think that I am doing everything the way they tell
> me, but when trying to send I keep getting the following message:
>
> sending failed
>
> the server did not accept the sender address
>
> the server responded "must have local@DOMAIN - <Carl Gustafson>*>>*"
>
> I added the default domain at the bottom of the send config screen and put
> in cgustafson1@comcast.net and now I didn't get the above message but
> instead I got the message "sending still in progress" and it is now over 6
> hours!  I just went back into the config and "looked" at it and came back
> and tried to send again and I now get the first message again.
>
> I have tried all sorts of combinations, but the message is still there and
> I really don't know what the message means. I am really a newbie, but am
> trying to learn and get this thing up and running.  I did receive 2 message
> this morning, but still cannot send.
>
> I appreciate your help.   If and when you respond to this message you can
> send it to this address or to me at: cgustafson1@comcast.net since it seems
> to be receiving.  Our two machines are side by side and are networked thru
> Windows XP.  I have both systems on my machine with a dual boot setup and
> she only has XP on hers and does not want Linux.

This works for me:

In kmail, goto configure -> network -> sending (tab)

At the bottom
  x uncheck any check boxes.
  x make sure default send method is 'send now'
  x make sure message property is 'MIME Compliant...'
  x make the default domain anthing you want.
    It doesn't matter for most configs.

In the 'Out Going Accounts' section, remove any and all accounts you might
have.

Add 1 account -- this will be your default
Name: Put the name you'd like to see here.  Generally, make it the same as
your server (see below).
Server: Put in your server name, e.g. smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 25

Many smtp servers now require authentication, others do not.  In the case of
yahoo, they do.  If yours does, click on the 'Server requires authentication'
check box and fill in your username and password.  Its also good to click on
the 'Store SMTP Password in the configuration file' in this case.

You shouldn't have to worry about the security tab.  Just make sure encryption
is set to none and authentication is set to plain.  This will work for most
servers.

Thats it.

hope that helps.

Mike