List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: little reminder on the 3.2 release schedule
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-09-22 0:50:33

On Monday 22 September 2003 03:31, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > True. But I guess that most of the work to put HTML support
> > > into KMComposer will be done again in order to add HTML support
> > > to some Komposer plugin. Or does the HTML support not heavily
> > > rely on the underlying KEdit (which is based on some long
> > > deprecated Qt class) and on the current layout handling in
> > > KMComposer?
> > > I'm not saying that the work should be stopped. But I'm pretty
> > > sure that most of the work will not be portable to the Komposer
> > > framework so that then the work will have to start from
> > > scratch. Anyway, if I'm wrong with this assumption then just
> > > ignore me. ;-)
> >
> > I'm trying to implement HTML editing support, but as far as I can
> > see now, it has very little to do with KEdit. It only gets the
> > html message from  KEdit.
>
> So you are just implementing raw HTML editting support (as opposed
> to WYSIWYG HTML editting support)? What exactly are you doing? Just
> adding a few buttons for some HTML tags? Or are you just
> implementing the backend which creates multipart/alternative
> messages?

Looking at the patch JES has been working on creating
multipart/alternative messages, and editing HTML messages in the
drafts folder. This is work that is completely independent of KEdit.
Also the Komposer framework will surely require a KMail class for
Komposer composers to talk back to KMail and get a message sent once
it has been written. JES' work should be part of this KMail class.

My work has been to use KFontAction, KFontSizeAction and the qtextedit
interface (which underlies the KEdit interface) to add WYSIWG HTML
editing support. (Fonts, sizes, emphasis, lists, justification, no
tables, inline images, colors yet). This work can be reused in a
Komposer composer implementation based on KRichTextEdit (I think
that's the right one).

The main problem with this approach seems to be that there are
problems getting the spell checking to work with it, it might be
necessary to disable spell checking for HTML mail. But I guess any
KRichTextEdit Komposer composer is going to have the same spelling
problem, and if we solve this problem for 3.2 then that solution can
be reused by any KRichTextEdit Komposer composer.

Don.