List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    LDAP lookups in KMail address lines
From:       Darrell Esau <Darrell.Esau () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2003-09-05 18:36:42

It seems that currently KMail (version 1.5.3) will look in LDAP (if you've
configured an LDAP resource for Address Book to use).  It seems to be
working, however (unless I've configured something incorrectly) it's totally
useless when using an LDAP server with a large number of entries (~40,000).

When typing a name in the 'To' box in KMail, the autocompletion triggers a
lookup event through kaddressbook.. this process locks kmail until it
returns.  This process seems to be retrieving _every_ entry from the LDAP
server, which would take hours, if not days.

Am I correct in my observations?  If so -- are there any plans to implement
this so that it just does a lookup based on the text that's entered, instead
of pulling the entire LDAP tree into a local storage?

I believe Bug #56534 is requesting this, but it doesn't look like anyone has
done anythign with it.

Thanks for any hints you can lend.
-d