List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: S/MIME
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-25 20:06:01

   Well the biggest problem right now is that the "plugin" architecture is
only designed to support one plugin: the gpg based one.  This needs to be
fixed so that it is KDE standardized and freedesktop XDG compliant.  the XDG
spec (I think that's the right spec) defines the location for plugins to be
installed, for instance.

   I suspect we will have a fully working PKCS#11 sometime over the next year
and it would be nice if our plugin worked so we could use it.

   I still believe that this licence complaining is a load of crap.  If the
licencer and the licencee both agree that the licence is acceptable to
eachother, then that must be sufficient.  KMail will not be linking against
OpenSSL (it never does, really, though it does use KSSL).  The plugin can be
in a separate directory.  At that point, the only person concerned must be
the plugin author.

   If the plugin system can actually be turned into a *plugin* system and not
a hardcoded library path to ~, then I propose we finish up the KSSL S/MIME
plugin and commit it to kdepim or kdeaddons.

   KDE has a chance to do something very "big" (read: extremely cool for KDE
users only), but I am not releasing details and not even beginning to
implement it until we have proper support in KDE for it.  This means storing
certificates in one place, not multiple places.

George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/